We’re paying £1,500 to commission someone to design a pictorial timeline to share the heritage of our amazing building with our 10,000+ visitors each year. This commission is part of a project supported by Heritage Lottery Fund that has allowed us to install the much needed heating system, employ a Volunteer Manager and we help us deliver a two year programme of events that share and celebrate the heritage or our amazing building. One way we will do this is with the new timeline that we will launch in September to coincide with Heritage Open Days.
BRIEF: HISTORIC TIMELINE
As part of the HLF funded project: “Left Bank Leeds: A Building of Significance” we are commissioning a designer to research and design a pictorial timeline outlining the history of our building (formerly St Margaret of Antioch Church). The design will be applied to fabric and used to reupholster the reredos (a set of three screens above where the alter once was). This will provide a consistent and accessible way for all visitors to learn about the heritage of our building. The finished piece will be launched to coincide with Heritage Open Days 2017.
Left Bank Leeds is a multidisciplinary arts venue set in a Grade II* listed former church building on Cardigan Road, Leeds. Our mission is to preserve our amazing building in order to inspire and empower our community through a sustainable programme of arts and events that promote creativity, connection and wellbeing.
Left Bank Leeds occupies the former St Margaret of Antioch Anglican church. St Margaret’s was built to the designs of Temple Moore (1856-1920), who was the architect of many fine churches in Yorkshire and the North East in the three decades before the First World War. These include St Wilfrid’s Church in Harrogate, which is Grade 1 listed and more than 20 buildings in or near the North York Moors. St Margaret’s was built to serve the houses that had been built between Cardigan Road and Royal Park Road in the 1890s.
St Margaret’s functioned until 1995 when the congregation merged with All Hallows and the church was left empty. In 2002, a local community based church (which had occupied another building 200m away since the early 1960s) established the Word of Life charitable trust to purchase the building in order to restore it as an inspiring community space. The building was in a poor state of repair and took years of fundraising and work to repair the windows, roof and walls. In 2009 the community were welcomed back into the building. A team of trustees, volunteers and one paid member of staff put on sporadic events that have slowly developed into a vibrant community arts venue.
The deadline for applications for this commission is 12 noon on Monday 24 April 2017.
For further details and to apply please go to Curator Space.